Millennium EMS Solutions Ltd. (MEMS) is looking for a junior level environmental scientist with directly applicable Bachelor’s degree. A minimum of 3 to 5 years of directly related experience with either soil classification, vegetation surveys or wetland classification is required. Preference will be given to those candidates with theoretical knowledge of soil classification, proven experience with field data collection and ability to safely work in remote environments. The successful candidate must be self-motivated with a strong work ethic and be able to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary setting. MEMS’ presents opportunities for the incumbent to work in a team of senior soil scientists, biologists and regulatory professionals on projects across a variety of jurisdictions. In addition, the successful applicant must be eligible for membership in a relevant professional organization, possess a valid, non-GDL Class 5 Drivers license; and must be able to meet the requirements of site access as dictated by our clients, this may include pre-access drug testing and pre-access fitness testing.
Reports to: Senior Environmental Scientist
Based at: Calgary, AB
Job Purpose: The position requires a combination of office and field work (30/70 split) in a consultancy environment. This position is available immediately and duties include the following responsibilities:
- Undertake screening level desktop and field assessments to characterize soil, vegetation and wetland setting;
- Provide technical support and assistance in the planning and conducting of detailed soils surveys.
- wetland assessments and vegetation surveys.
- Interpretation of maps, survey plans and air photos.
- Utilization of orienteering skills (including compass and GPS) in remote locations.
- Data management and data entry using MS access databases.
- Preparation of results, written summaries, tables and graphs for use in project reports; and
- perform other duties as directed by your supervisor.
MEMS is a dynamic environmental consulting company offering outstanding opportunities and long-term career advancement. Currently we employ over 140 employees in various disciplines including, hydrogeologists, engineers, soil scientists, foresters, vegetation ecologists, auditors, biologists, air quality experts, regulatory analysts and reclamation specialists. MEMS utilizes an integrated approach that emphasizes cross training of disciplines to allow for efficiencies in data collection and assessment and provides MEMS professionals with enhanced technical skills. Go to www.mems.ca for more information.
MEMS offers an excellent benefits program, extra time banking and a performance bonus program. Please send your resume with a covering letter/email referencing the position number and title to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.