Geomatics is the practice of mapping, processing and formatting geographic and spatially referenced information and presenting it in a way that is easily understood and aesthetically pleasing. Geomatics can be applied to data for reclamation, remediation and regulatory approvals, among other disciplines.
At MEMS, our Geomatics Department works closely with our other disciplines, as well as with external clients, to process data for reports and presentations in a way that is user-friendly and easy to comprehend. The role of MEMS’ Geomatics group is to provide expertise in all aspects of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD). Our personnel have a comprehensive background and skills in the latest spatial data technology to support a variety of environmental and engineering consulting.
MEMS utilizes a central data repository for spatial data storage and management. The GIS data stored allows GIS experts to:
- maintain integrity of spatial data with a consistent, accurate database;
- allow multiuser access and editing environment; and
- integrate spatial data with other non-spatial data.
MEMS Geomatics professionals use state-of-the-art GIS and CAD technology to deliver services such as:
- environmental sensitivity (constraints) mapping;
- cadastral mapping; and
- soils, vegetation, wildlife, groundwater, land use, forestry and socio-economic thematic mapping.
MEMS’ processing and analysis services include:
- air photo and satellite image processing;
- spatial analysis;
- DEM terrain analysis;
- 3D visualization modelling and visual impact assessments;
- GPS data processing; and
- client data storage and map server applications.
Geomatics support also includes project management to coordinate and distribute datasets to clients and subcontractors, as well as asset and document management. MEMS quality controls its spatial data and map products by ensuring all data meets strict internal guidelines for completeness and presentation format. Maps and data are thoroughly reviewed by the authoring scientist as part of the report preparation process. If you require data management expertise on your next project, please contact us for more information on our geomatics services.